Breast Cancer is the most common of all cancers. It is the leading cause of cancer deaths among women across the world. 1 in 28 women develop breast cancer during her lifetime, the risk being higher in urban areas accounting to 1 out of 22 in a lifetime
Average age of high risk group of breast cancer in India is 43 — 46 years whereas in the west, the average age of women aged 53 — 57 years are prone to breast cancer.
There are no fixed causes for breast cancer. As one ages, the chances of acquiring breast cancer increase. Inheritance, exposure to chemicals and nulliparity or late child bearing are some of the causes of breast cancer.
Symptoms of breast cancer
- Swelling in the arm pit
- Pain and tenderness in the breast tissues
- Painless lumps in the breast is first symptom of breast cancer
- Flattening or indentation on the breast which cannot be seen or felt
- Change in the contour texture or temperature of the breast
- Change in the nipple such as itching and burning sensation or ulceration and scaling of the nipple
- Bloody discharge from the nipple
The main diagnostic tools for breast cancer are:
- Fine needle Aspiration
- Surgical Biopsy
The treatment of Breast Cancer can be surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy or hormonal therapy.
- Breast Conservation Surgery — Excision of lump with axillary nodes leaving as much breast as possible. The surgery restores near normal breast even after the surgery
- Modified Radical Mastectomy - Breast cancer radical mastectomy entails removal of entire breast and axillary lymph nodes. The surgery is done when cancer is found in more than one part of the breast or the breast is so small that wide excision is not possible
- Modified Radical Mastectomy with Reconstruction - Women who feel unhappy with the idea of loosing their breast choose the option of immediate breast reconstruction. The reconstructive surgery is done by a plastic surgeon who uses patient’s own breast tissue
Chemotherapy is given when breast cancer surgery is not sufficient to treat breast cancer. Chemotherapy entails giving drugs to the patients to destroy cancer cells. The therapy is given as Neoadjuvant, Adjuvant and Palliative chemotherapy
Radiation Therapy - Radiation therapy is given to patients who underwent breast conservation surgery. Radiation therapy kills cancer cells that may still be there after the surgery. Radiation therapy destroy high energy X-rays to destroy cancer cells
Hormonal Therapy - Hormonal therapy medicines are whole body treatment for hormone-receptor-positive breast cancers. The receptors are like ears on breast cells that listen to signals from hormones. Hormonal therapy lowers the risk of early-stage breast cancer.
Breast Cancer Treatment in India
Breast Cancer Treatment in India is available at state-of-the art hospitals and clinics. The cancer hospitals in India are well equipped with expert radiologists, physicians, pathologists and oncologists. Every year many medical tourists come to India for breast cancer treatment owing to affordable cost of treatment, best of healthcare facilities and expertise of doctors
IndiCure is the premiere medical tourism company offering breast cancer treatment in association with best doctors and surgeons in India.
Or Call Us at — +919818462127 or +919320036777
Check out those popular press releases