Addressing the problem of identity theft, the tax expert reveals what to do if a fraudulent tax return is filed with one’s personal information, at

October 6, 2015 — Tax preparation planner and author Frank Ellis explains what to do if a fraudulent tax return is filed. The article opens with the staggering statistics on identity theft. Criminals most often use personal information during tax season, according to the author, and all they need is a name, birth date, and social security number. In the process, they can generate a tax refund for themselves.

According to the article, the taxpayer doesn’t know anything until the IRS rejects their return. It’s up to the Treasury Department to resolve a tax identity theft case and this can take a long time. This creates many inconveniences plus one does not receive their tax refund.

The author goes on to explain just how to deal with the situation. Some of the points include bringing the initial IRS letter or notice to a tax professional. One can also file Form 14039 and go file a police report. They can also file an identity theft report with the Federal Trade Commission. Other points include setting up fraud alerts with credit companies, monitoring credit reports, and notifying financial institutions.

While Ellis says submitting a tax return in paper form can help, H & R Block offers safeguards to protect identity. It also provides a number to the hotline Tax Identity Shield, on a customer’s MyBlock account, the author says. For more information on handling identity theft in relation to tax returns, and for a link to the agency, go to

About Frank Ellis

Frank Ellis is a Traverse City Tax Preparation Planner and published author. He has written tax and finance related articles for eight years and has published over 900 articles on leading financial websites.

Contact Information
Frank Ellis
Internet Tax Connection
945 East 8th Street Suite A
Traverse City, Michigan 49686