Total Hip Replacement is a surgical procedure to replace the damaged or worn out hip joint surface with artificial hip joint or implants called prosthesis. The prosthesis allows smooth and frictionless movement at the hip joint surface. Total Hip Replacement surgery aims to relieve pain and increase the mobility and function of a damaged hip joint.
Indications for Total Hip replacement surgery
- Osteo-arthritis of the hip joint
- Bony fractures of the hip joint.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Aseptic necrosis or Avascular necrosis of the Hip bone.
- Malignant bone tumors
- Ankylosing spondylitis
- Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis
Approaches to perform Hip replacement :
- Posterior (Moore) - The approach accesses the joint and capsule through the back and takes out piriformis muscle and short external rotators off the femur.
- Lateral (Hardinge or Liverpool) - The lateral approach requires elevation of hip abductors (gluteus medius and maximus) to access the hip joint.
- Antero-lateral (Watson-Jones) — It develops the interval between the tensor fasciae latae and the gluteus medius muscle.
- Anterior (Smith-Petersen) — This approach utilises interval between the sartorius muscle and tensor fascia latae.
Outcomes of Total Hip Replacement
THR has a success rate of more than 90%. The patient is relieved of the pain and has increase in the range of motion. Over time, many patients are able to swim, play golf and ride a bike comfortably.
Recovery after Total Hip Replacement
The patient is expected to stay in the hospital for about a week. The patient experiences pain and discomfort for 3 — 4 days which can be controlled with medications. The patient is asked to frequently cough and deeply breathe to avoid lung congestion.
After THR, the patient is advised to walk the same day or next day after the surgery with the help of a walker. Physiotherapy and rehabilitation is begun early to strengthen hip joint muscles to restore joint function, walking and activities of daily living.
Total Hip Replacement Surgery in India
India is considered among the most sought after destinations for orthopaedic and joint replacement procedures. The main reasons for people opting for THR in India are:
- Excellent healthcare facilities
- Best joint replacement surgeons
- Cutting edge technology for performing joint replacement surgery and post —op rehabilitation facilities.
- Low cost of hip replacement surgery in India as compared to the cost of THR in western countries such as USA, UK, Canada, Australia and other western countries.
Total Hip replacement Surgery in India with IndiCure
IndiCure is one of the most trusted medical Tourism companies offering Total Hip Replacement surgery at best joint replacement surgery hospitals in India. The company arranges for travel, surgery visa, hospital stay and accommodation options in India. For more information about Total Hip Replacement Suregry in India, visit -http://indicure.com.ng/joint_replacement/hip_replacement_resurfacing_surgery_in_india.htm , http://www.indicure.com/joint-replacement-surgery/total-hip-joint-replacement.htm
or call at +919818462127 or +919320036777.